Ramblings and a Writing Contest
“When life gets busy, sometimes you just got to strip down to your tighty-whiteys and jump into the pond!” – Kent‘s Grandma
Life has been busy for me over the last few weeks. The result of that is this post – I’m titling…
Bellakentuky’s First Ever
Super Fabulicious Flash Fiction Writing Contest
But don’t let the ridiculous title fool you!
There is some really good food for thought in this article!
I hope it will inspire you!
Today’s post is going to be an exorcism (of sorts) from me, and a writing challenge for you!
In the past week, I had two, very distinct, and quite different, memorable moments occur in my daily life. One of them was a triumph and the other an utter defeat.
I have worked as a photographer for the same company for over ten years; first as the general manager at two of their locations and then later as a freelance photographer. The job has always entailed (among numerous other things) sales. When I was a younger man, I would have bet money that I would never be good at sales. But history has proven me wrong. As it turns out, I’m pretty darn good at sales. What we sell are family photographs (sometimes just their children) – portraits done on the beach here at Hilton Head Island. While this product definitely has intrinsic value, you would think that there would be a cap as to how much someone might spend on this particular product.
Last week, I had the biggest sale of my career. It was the second largest sale in the company’s history. I’m not going to tell you how much it was, but I will tell you that it was in the five figures category. This client, and the ensuing sale came out of nowhere: they made their appointment late, had no lead time to prepare, and they almost made a decision to cancel.
But they bought, and they bought a lot. I kept waiting for the deal to fall apart, for them to change their mind, or for the credit card to be declined. These are all things that have happened to me in the past. But nothing happened. They made their decisions, their credit card went through, and when they left our office…
I was shaking, and I felt victorious!
My defeat came the very same day. About six weeks ago, my wife and I adopted a puppy. She’s a cute little thing: part Chihuahua and part Boston Terrier. She’s smart. We worked with her constantly on the housebreaking, and she really seemed to be getting it. We slowly allowed her more and more leeway around the house.
Then we discovered it. She had been going in the house all along, but hiding it. What made this particularly defeating was the fact that I knew, that she knew, it was wrong. She was hiding it. Hiding it in part of the house that we rarely visit. It hurt me deep down because I’d had so much confidence in her.
Well, it’s back to square one with her.
She’s now once again confined to her pen where if she chooses to be sneaky, she has to live with it.
I challenge you to write a flash fiction story that incorporates the two above elements: a victory at work and a defeat at home.
These are the rules
- It must be 1000 words or less.
- It must incorporate a victory at work, and a defeat at home, into the plot.
- It must be edited to the best of your ability.
- It must be submitted by Midnight, July 15th, 2013.
- You must submit it to, email@example.com.
- You must submit it in the body of the email – not an attachment.
- You must accept the results of the contest without complaining.
These are the prizes
- The winning author will receive a free cover from my graphic designer wife for the writing project of their choice.
- The winning story will also be published on the NovelNook.com blog on August 19, 2013.
- The winning story will receive a critique and an explanation as to why I chose it as the winner when it is published on the blog.
- The winning author will receive an Amazon Gift Card valued at $20.00 USD (for USA Amazon only)
The Fine Print
- The cover must be redeemed by December 31, 2013.
- This is for an electronic Ebook cover only.
- The book cover will be produced to the cover standards as dictated by Amazon.
- The prize includes design and illustration. If photography is requested, you will be responsible for purchasing the usage rights.
- You will get three consultations with the graphic designer via email: An initial interview to convey your ideas, an initial proof round, a second proof round. After that, she delivers, and you take what you get.
- All rights to your entries remain with you!! We’re asking for nothing but a good (well edited) story and first publication rights for the blog.
Second Place! Will be published on the NovelNook.com blog on August 26, 2013 and will receive a critique by me.
Here is a sample cover that my wife produced for me. I will be publishing this book on Amazon in the near future.
I look forward to reading your stories!
I am very opinionated about the craft of writing, and life in general. But… I am well-tempered with an enthusiasm for debate. Please leave comments, even the ugly ones, I dare you.
You can follow me at
I’m also an avid reader. If you desire success in your writing career, you should be too.
All my best on a beautiful day in South Carolina.